DC PROGRAM AND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, DC
Avodah strengthens the Jewish community’s fight against the causes and effects of poverty in the United States. We do this by engaging participants in service and community building that inspire them to become lifelong leaders for social change whose work for justice is rooted in and nourished by Jewish values.
The Program and Development Associate will assist the Program Director and the Community Director in the core functions of Avodah’s Service Corps program in DC. The Associate will assist with the planning, implementation, and oversight of the educational, work placement and housing aspects of the Service Corps. The Associate will also support the development, communications and community engagement efforts conducted by Avodah’s staff. The Program and Development Associate will be an integral member of the local Avodah office and will serve as part of a dynamic national team. The Program and Development Associate reports to the DC Community Director. Work Schedule: 20 hours/week; Most federal and Jewish holidays observed.
The Program and Development Associate will support the Program Director and implement various logistical and programmatic aspects of the Service Corps program including but not limited to:
- With the Program Director, plan, implement and/or facilitate the educational, mentorship and training including orientation, weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs – including logistical needs and liaising with speakers and trainers;
- Assist the Program Director in the processes of selecting and matching placement agencies and Corps Members with one another, maintaining necessary files and stewarding these relationships;
- Support property management needs for Avodah’s residential properties including liaising with property owners, ensuring proper maintenance and turning over houses between cohorts.
The Program and Development Associate will support the Community Director and work with the Advisory Council, local board members and staff to develop and implement a plan to maintain and increase the funds raised by Avodah DC including but not limited to:
- Logistical support for all donor and/or community engagement events, including but not limited to the annual Partners in Justice event, graduations, Chanukah party and more;
- Administrative support associated with the Advisory Council and major donors, including but not limited to meeting scheduling, preparation of written materials and correspondence;
- Data management for all fundraising and community building activities including data entry and report production;
- Attend meetings with stakeholders, donors and/or foundation representatives, as necessary.
- Assist with donor acknowledgment process as necessary.
- Support local coordination of national fundraising campaigns.
In addition, to supporting the work of the DC Program Director and Community Director as described above, the Associate will also be responsible for managing the DC office, including:
- Reconcile monthly local revenue with national accounting records.
- Manages day-to-day operations of the site.
- Facilitate technology needs and implementation of the site.
- All other duties as requested.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize and multi-task;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be proactive and work independently;
- Reputation for energy, enthusiasm, initiative and flexibility as a team player;
- At least 1 year of experience working in not-for-profit development office preferred;
- Sensitivity to and ability to collaborate and work with diverse populations, both within the Jewish community and broader community;
- Strong professional boundaries;
- Strong collaborative and networking skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Proficiency in Google Documents, Excel and content management/ donor database programs;
- Commitment to social justice a plus; and
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends a must.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Jill Hertzler, Avodah DC Community Director [email protected]. Please use the subject line, “DC Program and Development Associate” when e-mailing. No phone calls, please.