San Diego Program Director (Service Corps)
Location: San Diego, CA
Start Date: Mid-June 2021
Hourly Rate/Salary: $55-65K
Avodah develops lifelong social justice leaders whose work is informed by Jewish values and who inspire the Jewish community to work toward a more just and equitable world. Since 1998, we’ve been training emerging Jewish leaders to take on the most pressing social and economic issues in America. We believe that the combination of on-the-ground experience, intensive professional and personal development, and supportive, pluralistic Jewish community lay the groundwork for a lasting commitment to social change.
Avodah is seeking a Program Director to begin work in mid-June 2021 (exact date flexible). The Program Director will oversee and implement Avodah’s newest Jewish Service Corps program site in San Diego, California. The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of the local Service Corps cohort, including the educational workshops, job-related placement and assistance, housing support, community building and logistics. This is an excellent position for someone who excels in roles that include especially varied responsibilities and variable flow of work. The ideal Program Director is a skilled educator and program facilitator who is passionate about building strong communities who can support each other in their work for social justice, Jewish identity development, personal growth, and the meaningful intersections between those. They have the cultural competence and skills to mentor and support a diverse community including (but not limited to) BIPOC, queer and/or trans participants and participants with disabilities. They are able to comfortably hold a range of logistical, emotional and educational responsibilities in order to ensure that the overall program runs smoothly and successfully. As the work will include virtual programming, the ideal candidate will have experience and comfort with virtual facilitation and program implementation. The ideal candidate will also have experience with and/or be excited about launching a new program site.
The San Diego Program Director is an integral member of the San Diego Avodah office. They will work as part of a dynamic team locally with the San Diego Director of Strategic Partnerships, who oversees local development. The San Diego Program Director will work with the National Program Associate and other national program staff to support the San Diego service corps members. The San Diego Program Director reports to the National Program Director (located in New Orleans).
- Implement and serve as lead staff person on all aspects of educational programs including orientation, weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs, including the logistical planning and administration of the programs (with assistance from the Program Associate);
- Coordinate and facilitate leadership development activities with Corps Members;
- Coordinate and facilitate community-building activities among Corps Members;
- In partnership with the part-time Ruach Avodah Advisor (Jewish identity and spirituality advisor), facilitate exploration by Corps Members of social justice and Jewish life;
- Provide resources and mentorship to Corps Members related to their work, community, and Jewish lives;
- Actively oversee Avodah’s residential properties, including: managing the house search when necessary, aiding in the move-in and move-out process, and resolving maintenance problems with residents and landlords (with assistance from the National Program Associate);
- Participate in the Service Corps staff team, the cross-program team and the Avodah staff as a whole, including weekly supervision with the National Program Director, weekly Service Corps staff team meetings, monthly program team meetings, bi-monthly Avodah all-staff meetings, an annual all-staff retreat and an annual program team retreat;
- Coordinate with the National Program Associate to support the San Diego corps members.
- Work with the San Diego Community Director to jointly oversee the San Diego site, to support each other as needed (ie: occasionally attend local fundraisers, get to know the local advisory council, identify and prepare Corps Members to speak at external engagements, find opportunities for community members to get to know the Avodah program and participants, and as needed provide programmatic and logistical support for Avodah stakeholder events) and to identify and help implement impactful community engagement opportunities that allow us to raise our visibility in the San Diego area;
- Experience with varied responsibilities and variable workload and schedule;
- Impeccable interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Strong experience and skill in education, facilitation, and team-building;
- Commitment to justice work with an anti-oppression lens;
- Strong project management skills;
- Experience with mentorship and leadership development for people in their early 20s;
- At least 4 years relevant professional experience;
- Familiarity with and respect for a wide range of expressions of Jewish life;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize and multi-task;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Established connections to local activists and Jewish leaders preferred but not required;
- Ability to work regular evenings and occasional weekends a must.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
The San Diego Program Director will begin primarily working from their home, and will be provided with a computer. The role involves regular evening and semi-regular weekend programming, as well as occasional high volume periods particularly during the move-in and move-out portions of the program year. During these times the Program Director may be asked to assist with minor physical labor, as physical ability allows. The flow of the work is variable, there are times when the work is fast-paced and there are slower periods depending on the time of the program year; this position entails working with deadlines and prioritizing different responsibilities. The ability to handle stressful situations with multiple projects underway at the same time, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively, are essential.
Salary: $55-65K + generous benefits
What we offer:
- Many opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite and offsite training;
- If you are moving from outside of the San Diego area we will reimburse up to $2000 of moving costs;
- Benefits designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance, including generous time off, flexible work arrangements, retirement savings plan with employer contribution after 90 days;
- Medical and dental insurance, progressive paid parental leave, and more;
- Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
Please click this link to apply. Due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants granted an interview. Applications will be accepted until a hire is made and interviews will be set up on a rolling basis. Ideally, the new Program Director will begin work in June 2021 (exact start date is flexible). Please direct any questions to [email protected].
Creating a more just world is a core part of our mission, and Avodah is working to continually strengthen our efforts towards equity and inclusion in the workplace. We strive to build a diverse team who bring with them a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Avodah is an equal opportunity employer.