Human Resources Manager
Location: New York
Description: Part-time position (20 hours/week)
Avodah develops Jewish leaders who are lifelong agents for social change. We offer exceptional Jewish leadership programs for young adults that integrate Jewish identity and social justice. Avodah’s Jewish Service Corps, Justice Fellowship, Alumni Network and Community Engagement programs have sparked more than a thousand Jewish leaders, added millions of dollars in critical staff capacity to anti-poverty organizations and are helping to transform Jewish life in America.
The HR Manager oversees all aspects of the day-to-day and strategic management of the HR function for Avodah including managing recruitment, and retention, overseeing HR functions and systems, championing diversity and equity issues, and supporting supervisors in handling employee relations. This position will report to the Director of Finance and will work part-time, 20 hours a week.
The successful candidate will have strong relationship-building skills and a natural capacity to build trust. They should be able to maintain a strategic and high-level perspective of the organization and functional objectives, but also have the desire and ability to provide hands-on management of HR operations. They should be able to assess areas that need improvement or growth and ensure that teams have the right tools and leadership to accomplish strategic and individual goals efficiently and effectively. They will develop HR strategies and processes that support our organization’s overall business objectives, including organizational design, change management, employee relations, talent acquisition and retention strategies, employee development, succession planning, leadership & team development and communications.
● Manage the on and off-boarding of employees;
● Work with management team and HR Working Group to establish and implement appropriate personnel policies and procedures;
● Process multi-state payroll;
● Manage employee relations and conflict resolution;
● Manage compensation and benefits administration;
● Move our current HSA and FSA to a new vendor;
● Manage HR related compliance matters including classification of employees and audits;
● Participate in salary surveys;
● Maintain systems for performance reviews; and
● Performed ad hoc HR related tasks as required by supervisor.
● 5+ Years of professional experience in Human Resources
● Masters in HR, SHRM-CP, or PHR ideal
● Experience processing multi-state payroll
● Extremely detail oriented
● Effective and persuasive communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
● Able to appreciate various viewpoints, share relevant information in a timely manner, and maintain a high level of professionalism
● Knowledge of best practices with regard to HR procedures and policies and current laws
● Ability to handle multiple assignments with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
● High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook
● Working knowledge of Paychex helpful but not necessary
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: Range of $50-$60k FTE (Note, this is a part-time job so the salary will be adjusted for halftime)
Benefits: For part-time staff, we offer paid time off, life insurance, an organizational contribution to a 403b (retirement plan) and an FSA.
Competitive salary and benefits as well as flexible hours. Email resume, cover letter and interest in a part-time work week to [email protected] Please include “Human Resources Manager” in the subject line.
Avodah provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.No phone calls, please.
No phone calls, please.