NY Program Associate
Location: New York, NY
Description: Part-time in NYC
Start Date: June 15 (flexible start date)
Hourly Rate/Salary: $20-$25/hour for 18-22 hours a week
Avodah develops lifelong social justice leaders whose work is informed by Jewish values and who inspire the Jewish community to work toward a more just and equitable world. Since 1998, we’ve been training emerging Jewish leaders to take on the most pressing social and economic issues in America. We believe that the combination of on-the-ground experience, intensive professional and personal development, and supportive, pluralistic Jewish community lay the groundwork for a lasting commitment to social change.
The NYC Program Associate will assist the NYC Program Director in the core functions of Avodah’s Service Corps program in NYC including the launch of Avodah’s first Jews of Color bayit. The Associate will assist with the planning, implementation and oversight of the educational, work and housing aspects of the Service Corps. The Program Associate will be an integral member of the local Avodah office and will serve as part of a dynamic national team. The Program Associate reports to the NYC Program Director.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- With the Program Director, plan, implement and/or facilitate the educational, mentorship and training programing including orientation, weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs, including:
- Researching, recruiting and liaising with external program speakers;
- Overseeing logistical aspects of all programs including ordering food, setting up program spaces, and ensuring speakers are paid;
- Occasionally facilitating Corps Member programs or breakout sessions; and
- Supporting Program Director in 1:1 check ins with Corps Members.
- Assisting the Program Director in the processes of selecting and matching placement agencies and Corps Members with one another including:
- Researching and recruiting new placement organizations;
- Ensuring all contracts are signed; and
- Stewarding placement relationships.
- Supporting property management needs for Avodah’s residential properties including:
- Liaising with property owners;
- Ensuring proper maintenance; and
- Turning over houses between cohorts.
- Fully participate in all staff gatherings, meetings, and retreats;
- Conduct self with the utmost professionalism; and
- Serve as an excellent ambassador to Avodah.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize and multi-task;
- Detail oriented, a strong creator of new systems to organize work;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be proactive and work independently;
- Facilitation, training, and team-building skills;
- Cultural competency to collaborate and work with diverse populations, both within the Jewish community and broader community;
- Strong professional boundaries;
- Strong collaborative and networking skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Proficiency in Google Documents
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends a must.
What we offer:
- Many opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite and offsite training.
- Benefits designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance, including generous time off, flexible work arrangements, retirement savings plan with employer contribution after 90 days
- Medical insurance with 50% of the premium paid by employer (starting July 1, 2021)
- Commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
The NY Program Associate will work from their home and occasionally in the NYC office in Lower Manhattan. The role will involve traveling to our houses in NYC, which are in Bushwick and Bed-Stuy. The NY Program Associate will oversee house turnover and maintenance and needs to be able to walk up stairs and lift at least 50 lbs. The role involves regular evening and semi-regular weekend programming, as well as occasional high volume periods particularly during the move-in and move-out portions of the program year. The flow of the work is variable, there are times when the work is fast-paced and there are slower periods depending on the time of the program year; this position entails working with deadlines and prioritizing different responsibilities. The ability to handle stressful situations with multiple projects underway at the same time, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively, are essential
Please click this link to apply. Due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants granted an interview. Applications will be accepted until a hire is made and interviews will be set up on a rolling basis. Please direct any questions to [email protected].
Creating a more just world is a core part of our mission, and Avodah is working to continually strengthen our efforts towards equity and inclusion in the workplace. We strive to build a diverse team that brings with them a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Avodah is an equal opportunity employer.