New Orleans Program Director
Location: New Orleans
Avodah develops and engages a network of Jewish leaders working within the Jewish community and beyond to promote social justice and fight the causes and effects of domestic poverty. We achieve this through our many programmatic offerings including the Jewish Service Corps, the Avodah Justice Fellowship, our alumni network and our community education and engagement work.
Avodah is seeking a Program Director to oversee and implement our Jewish Service Corps in New Orleans. The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of the local Service Corps cohort, including the educational workshops, job-related placement and assistance, housing support, community building and logistics. This is an excellent position for a confident go-getter who excels at education and group facilitation, managing logistics and competing priorities, building strategic relationships with local organizations and supporters, and mentoring young adults in their early 20s.
The NOLA Program Director is an integral member of the NOLA Avodah office. They will work as part of a dynamic team with the NOLA Director, who oversees development and community engagement in NOLA. The NOLA Program Director reports to the National Program Director in NY.
- Implement and serve as lead staff person on all aspects of educational programs including orientation, weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs, as well as all the logistical planning and administration of the program;
- Coordinate and facilitate leadership development activities with Corps Members;
- Coordinate and facilitate community-building activities among Corps Members;
- In partnership with the part-time Ruach Avodah Advisor (Jewish identity and spirituality advisor), facilitate exploration by Corps Members of social justice and Jewish life;
- Provide resources and mentorship to Corps Members related to their work, community, and Jewish lives;
- Actively oversee Avodah’s residential properties, including: managing the house search when necessary, aiding in the move-in and move-out process, and resolving maintenance problems with residents and landlords;
- Participate in the Service Corps staff team, the cross-program team and the Avodah staff as a whole, including weekly supervision with the National Program Director, bi-monthly Service Corps staff team meetings, monthly program team meetings, bi-monthly Avodah all-staff meetings, an annual all-staff retreat and an annual program team retreat;
- Work with the NOLA Director to jointly oversee the NOLA Office, to support each other as needed (ie: attend local fundraisers, get to know local advisory council, identify and prepare Corps Members to speak at external engagements, find opportunities for community members to get to know the Avodah program and participants, provide programmatic and logistical support for Avodah stakeholder events) and to identify and help implement impactful community engagement opportunities that allow us to raise our visibility in the NOLA area;
- Work with the NOLA Director and the national Alumni Director to provide programmatic and logistical support to the implementation of NOLA alumni programming;
- Create monthly accounting report for the NOLA site expenses and assist with other site administrative responsibilities as needed.
- Impeccable interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Demonstrated experience with education, facilitation, and team-building;
- Strong project management skills;
- Experience with mentorship and leadership development for people in their early 20s
- At least 4 years relevant professional experience;
- Familiarity with and respect for a wide range of expressions of Jewish life;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, prioritize and multi-task;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Established connections to local activists and Jewish leaders preferred but not required;
- Ability to work regular evenings and occasional weekends a must.
Salary range of $40-45K. Competitive benefits. Email resume and cover letter, with availability, to both Sarra Alpert, National Program Director, at [email protected] AND Alysse Fuchs, NOLA Program Director at [email protected]. Please include “NOLA Program Director” in the subject line.
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.