New Orleans Ruach Avodah Advisor
Job Description: New Orleans Ruach Avodah Advisor
Location: New Orleans, LA
Hours: 10 hours/week
Start Date: August 2019
Compensation: $10,000 (one-year contract)
Avodah develops and engages a network of Jewish leaders working within the Jewish community and beyond to promote social justice and fight domestic poverty. We achieve this through our many programmatic offerings including the Jewish Service Corps, the Avodah Fellowship, our alumni network and our community education and engagement work.
The Ruach Avodah Advisor will work on Avodah’s Jewish programming and Jewish ritual experiences, both in direct teaching and coaching of Corps Members and also in collaboration with program staff on our educational curriculum. We seek candidates that care deeply about the synthesis of social justice and Jewish life, who have experience and interest working with people from a diverse array of Jewish background, experience and beliefs, and who have experience or interest working with people in their 20’s. The Ruach Avodah Advisor will report both to the local Program Director and to Avodah’s National Director of Programs.
The Ruach Avodah Advisor’s work will focus on facilitating and supporting Jewish experiences that weave meaningful and inspiring Jewish moments into Avodah participants’ lives. This would include:
- Leading Jewish life and learning programs that help Corps Members with the following: deepen their understanding of Jewish ritual and tradition; increase their confidence in planning and leading their own Shabbat and holiday services and celebrations; strengthen their knowledge of how to organically draw connections between their social justice values and their Jewish practice.
- Meeting with groups of Corps Members who are planning monthly Shabbatot and other Jewish ritual experiences to help them apply the learning from the above sessions to their specific event;
- Mentoring individual Corps Members regarding their Jewish development, offering spiritual guidance as needed in order to help each individual with their Jewish goals and path;
- Potentially leading optional additional Jewish learning opportunities (sometimes in-person and local, sometimes online and available to our national pool of participants);
- Working with the program team on how to best infuse ritual and spirit into our program opportunities and on developing their skills in supporting a range of Corps Members in a diverse exploration of Jewish life, identity and practice.
The Ruach Avodah Advisor hours will vary (depending on which months have retreat weekends, etc) but will come to an average of 10 hours per week. This role begins in August of 2019.
- Attend Service Corps programming (at either evening programs, weekday daytime programs or retreats) twice each month (on average) as a designated Jewish educator or informal staff presence, with an exact programming attendance schedule to be determined with the local site’s program staff;
- Meet with groups of Corps Members and support them in planning monthly Shabbat gatherings and other Jewish ritual experiences;
- Meet with all Corps Members (outside of the context of the above Program Meetings) 2-3 times individually throughout the year to build a strong working relationship, support their Jewish development, offer spiritual guidance as needed/desired and help with their Jewish goals and path;
- Potentially (to be determined in consultation with the National Program Director): Attend parts of the Avodah all-staff retreat as well as parts of the program staff team retreat (if one is scheduled);
- Attend several days of their site’s local orientation (including part or all of both Shabbatot), at least part of the Service Corps national gathering, and at least part of the fall and year-end retreats;
- Meetings: Regular meetings with their local site’s program staff, monthly virtual meetings with the national program team, bi-monthly meetings with Ruach Avodah team, and quarterly meetings with National Program Director;
- Contribute as a Jewish educator to Avodah more broadly at least 3 times over the course of the year, whether through alumni engagement, community teaching, writing, national program teaching, or staff learning.
COMPENSATION: $10,000 for a one-year contract
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to New Orleans Program Director Shoshana Madick at [email protected]
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.