Position: Jews of Color (JOC) Recruiter
Location: Flexible, but New York City preferred
Description: 15 – 20 hours weekly
Start Date: September 2019
Hourly Rate range: $20 – $25/hr
We are open to varying levels of experience for this work and are willing to have conversations with the right candidate for pay, title, and scope of portfolio.
Avodah is building a new generation of Jewish leaders to address our country’s most pressing social and economic issues. Through our Jewish Service Corps, Justice Fellowship, Community Engagement initiatives and alumni network, we provide emerging Jewish leaders with the tools, experience, and networks they need to work for an end to poverty in America.
Overall responsibilities for Jews of Color (JOC) Recruiter:
The role will help strategize and execute recruitment strategy that will support Avodah’s work in building participant cohorts that are reflective of the full racial diversity of the U.S. Jewish community. The work will include auditing current strategies and materials, helping to create new tactics, and conducting outreach to potential JOC applicants as well as community leaders. Ideal applicants will enjoy both higher-level thinking and leg work to move projects forward. Literacy around the communal and professional landscape of Jews of Color will also be an asset in this work. The role is a new addition to Avodah’s recruitment team and will be adding capacity and new strategic thinking to our existing work recruiting JOCs for the Service Corps and Justice Fellowship. This position is grant-funded for 12 months.
Responsibilities may include:
- Reviewing current communication materials, messaging, and strategy to advise on updates and new tactics;
- Creating an outreach plan to organizations, synagogues, schools, and other spaces for JOC recruitment;
- Having 1:1 conversations with targeted connectors and organizations to create strong partners in this work;
- Connecting with JOC applicants through 1:1s or small-group conversations to help them learn about Avodah and navigate the application process;
- Staffing recruitment events (career fairs, information sessions, pitches, etc.) as needed;
- Collaborating, as needed, with the JOCSM (Jews of Color, Sephardi, and Mizrahi) Alumni Council.
Skills and Background:
- Impeccable interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively;
- Strategic thinking and creative problem-solving;
- Comfort navigating blind spots within the Jewish community and the broader non-profit world in relation to race and JOC diversity
- Willingness to engage in local travel for recruitment events as needed;
- Literacy around the communal and professional landscape of Jews of Color a plus;
- Experience in recruitment or organizing a plus;
- Experience advancing racial justice work or diversity, equity, and inclusion work a plus.
Email resume and cover letter, with availability, to Emily Becker, Recruitment Manager, at [email protected]. Please include “JOC Recruiter” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants granted an interview.
Applications will be accepted until we hire, but we strongly encourage interested candidates to submit their applications by August 5th. Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis. Ideally, the JOC Recruiter will begin work in September 2019 (exact date flexible).
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.