Position: Director of Finance and Operations
Location: New York City
Description: Permanent Full Time
Start Date: September 2018
Salary: $90,000 – $110,000 (depending upon experience)
We are currently looking for an experienced Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) to lead all finance, operations and human resource activities of Avodah. The DFO will ensure the quality and continual improvement of Avodah’s financial, human resources and information technology systems, supported by a full-time Junior Accountant and supervising three staff members in total. The DFO will play a broad leadership role in Avodah’s growth and development. A member of Avodah’s senior leadership team, the DFO reports to Avodah’s Executive Director (ED) and works directly with the Finance Committee of the Board.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all financial operations of the organization including budgeting, accounting, banking and investment relationships, cash management, payroll, forecasting, and risk management activities;
- Advise ED and senior management team on financial and organizational effectiveness matters, risk management and the implications of decisions;
- Oversee annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with ED and senior management; monitor actual progress and changes on a monthly basis and communicate this information to senior leadership, identifying variances and developing appropriate action plans;
- Staff the finance and audit committee and work closely with the Treasurer of the Board.
- Create, implement and maintain fiscal policies and internal controls to ensure best practices;
- Work in partnership with development staff to ensure appropriate tracking of funds;
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports for the management team and the Board;
- Prepare reports to insurers, regulators, funders and other third parties as needed;
- Manage the annual audit process and 990 preparation and filing;
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements; and
- Supervise the Junior Accountant.
- Manage the on and off-boarding of employees, manage employee relations and conflict resolution;
- Manage compensation and benefits administration;
- Maintain systems for performance reviews;
- Oversee and review all independent contractor agreements; and
- Work with management team to establish and implement appropriate personnel policies and procedures.
- Oversee and mitigate key elements of Avodah’s risk profile; negotiate and maintain appropriate insurance coverages;
- Oversee selection and maintenance of all equipment and manage relationships with vendors and landlords;
- Oversee Technology & Database Coordinator and manage outsourced IT provider;
- Supervise the Development Assistant and New York Office Manager; and
- Monitor and evaluate operational effectiveness.
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in finance or accounting at a management level, nonprofit experience preferred;
- Additional experience working across operational functions, human resources and administration strongly preferred;
- CPA preferred, B.S. Accounting or Finance or similar at a minimum.
- Extensive experience with Excel is required and experience using Fund EZ is a plus.
- Strong and proven organizational skills; comfortable with a high level of visibility, responsibility and accountability;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to develop positive and productive relationships and decisively build buy-in across the organization;
- Ability to generate ideas, initiate actions and follow them through;
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects, and prioritize workflow to meet critical deadlines whilst paying attention to important detail;
- Ability to analyze financial data; and
- High ethical standards.
Please send cover letter and resume to Mia Marais at [email protected]. Please use the subject line: Director of Finance and Operations. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls, please. We apologize that because of the volume of applications, we are able only to respond to those applicants granted an interview.
Applications will be accepted until we hire, but we strongly encourage interested candidates to submit their applications by August 1, 2018.
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.