DC Community Director
The DC Community Director’s primary responsibilities are to lead major gifts development in the DC region, grow Avodah’s base of support, and lead the DC Advisory Council. This position will be responsible for generating and executing strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, steward and recognize prospects and donors with the capacity to give $1,000 or more annually, and to serve as the primary point of contact for regional foundation funders, community contacts, etc.
Candidates must be available for some local and out-of-state travel to Avodah staff meetings, retreats, and events on nights and weekends.
- Working with the Director of Development and Director of Major Gifts, define strategies to achieve Avodah’s revenue goals through major gifts.
- Represent Avodah throughout the DC Jewish and social justice communities, to raise Avodah’s profile and meaningfully engage the local community in our work.
- Help recruit for and work in partnership with the DC Advisory Council to increase Avodah’s visibility in the region, steward donors, and cultivate new donors.
- Manage a portfolio of prospective and current donors, and create individual engagement plans and gift goals for each person in the portfolio.
- Personally cultivate and solicit gifts from current donors and develop strategies to upgrade gifts from all major donors.
- Develop strategies to expand the major donor pipeline, including research, attending local conferences and events and more, achieving targets for an increase in the number of donors and overall donor engagement.
- Create and curate stewardship materials, including but not limited to written reports, press pieces, local and national updates and more.
- Plan and coordinate small events focused on engaging major and prospective major donors.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for regional foundation funders and prospective foundation funders, and working closely with the Development Director and Foundation Manager, meet with foundation representatives and submit all LOIs, proposals and reports as necessary, and communicate regularly regarding engagement opportunities and organizational updates.
- Build relationships with local participants and alumni in order to share their stories with and connect them to funders and prospective funders.
- Collaborate with other staff as requested to create materials, recognition campaigns and more.
- Maintain and update Avodah’s donor CRM records in Salesforce; track all engagement and outreach; share data in regular report with supervisor; and use data to inform strategies.
- Work in collaboration with local DC program staff and national support staff to ensure effective functioning of overall DC site/office management.
- At least five (5) years of nonprofit development experience, including work with major donors;
- Working knowledge of Salesforce preferred;
- Experience working in a nonprofit setting preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate relationships with, and solicit four- and five-figure gifts from new and existing stakeholders;
- Exceptional relationship-building and communication skills;
- Collaborative work style coupled with ability to work autonomously at a high level;
- Creativity to develop and implement new fundraising solutions;
- Appetite for a fast-paced work environment;
- Understanding of and prior relationships in the Jewish community preferred;
- Commitment to the idea that the Jewish community has an essential role to play in promoting justice in the United States;
- Flexibility to adjust to evolving work demands; and
- Good sense of humor.
Please send resume to Shira Sarfati at [email protected]. Please include “DC Community Director” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until we hire, but we strongly encourage interested candidates to submit their applications by December 23, 2019. Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications, we are only able to respond to those applicants granted an interview. No phone calls, please.
Salary: $75,000 – $85,000 commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefit package included (i.e., medical, dental, 403(b), paid holidays, annual leave, etc.).
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.