Avodah New York Program Associate
Location: New York City
Description: 15 hours/week
Hourly Rate: $20.00
Avodah strengthens the Jewish community’s fight against the causes and effects of poverty in the United States. We do this by engaging participants in service and community building that inspire them to become lifelong leaders for social change whose work for justice is rooted in and nourished by Jewish values.
The Program Associate will help the Program Director in the core functions of Avodah’s Service Corps program in New York. The Program Associate will assist with the implementation and oversight of the educational, work placement and housing aspects of the Service Corps. The Program Associate is an integral member of the Avodah office and will serve as part of a dynamic national team. The Program Associate reports to the NY Program Director. The position is part-time. Most federal and Jewish holidays observed.
The Program Associate will support the Program Director and implement various logistical and programmatic aspects of the Service Corps program including but not limited to:
- Ensure service corps learning programs run smoothly by managing all logistics, including booking spaces, ordering food, liaising with speakers and trainers, processing payments, and helping with setup as needed for evening, daytime, and weekend-long retreats.
- Actively oversee Avodah’s residential properties, including: resolving maintenance problems with residents and landlords, purchasing supplies, coordinating deliveries, coordinating the cleaning and preparation of houses between cohorts, managing the house search if needed, aiding in the move-in and move-out process.
- Communicate regularly with participants, partners, trainers, other staff and stakeholders.
- Plan, implement and/or facilitate some educational programming including orientation, some weekly sessions, retreats, and special programs – including logistical needs and liaising with speakers and trainers;
- Assist the Program Director in the interviewing and matching process for placements and applicants; maintaining necessary files
- Processing payments, invoices, receipts and expenses; maintaining the budget with the Program Director
- Support planning and execution of local events
- Excellent organization skills including attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Proficiency with google suite including spreadsheets (excel or google sheets)
- Ability to work on a team as well as independently
- Ability to prioritize a broad range of work and competing demands
- Experience and comfort with group facilitation on Jewish, community-building, or social justice topics
- Knowledge of Jewish and/or social justice landscape a plus
- Experience working with people in their early 20’s a plus
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
Avodah is an equal opportunity employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from poor or working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to the Program Director, Sasha Raskin-Yin, at [email protected]. Include “Program Associate” in the subject line.