Where are they working?
- A Safe Haven helps people aspire, transform and sustain their lives from homelessness to self-sufficiency with pride and purpose. AVODAH provides an Urban Farming and Special Projects Associate to A Safe Haven.
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's mission is to lead the fight against HIV/AIDS and improve the lives of people affected by the epidemic. The collaborate with community organizations to develop and improve HIV/AIDS services; fund and coordinate prevention, care, and advocacy projects; and champion effective, compassionate HIV/AIDS policy. AVODAH provides a Homeless Outreach Assistant to the AIDS Foundation.
- Apna Ghar, Inc. (Our Home) provides culturally-appropriate, multilingual services, including emergency shelter, to survivors of domestic abuse with a primary focus on the South Asian and other immigrant communities. AVODAH provides a Community Advocate to Apna Ghar.
- Arise Chicago builds partnerships between faith communities and workers to fight workplace injustice through education and organizing and advocating for public policy changes. AVODAH provides a Religious Organizer to Arise.
- The ARK creates a safety net for Chicagoland Jews in need by providing vital human services within a framework of Jewish values and laws and by building bridges between volunteers and those in need in the community. AVODAH provides a Social Services Assistant to The ARK.
- Chicago Women's Health Center (CWHC) is a collective of health workers, counselors, outreach health educators, and doctors who provide affordable, respectful, and accessible gynecological and mental health care to women and trans people in the Chicago area. AVODAH provides an Office Manager and Advocacy and Volunteer Coordinator to CWHC.
- CJE Senior Life facilitates the independence of older adults and enhances quality of life by advocating on their behalf and by offering programs and services throughout the continuum of care for individuals, families and the community. AVODAH provides Program Staff to CJE Senior Life.
- Faith in Place helps people of faith understand that issues of ecology and economy-of care for Creation-are at the forefront of social justice. AVODAH provides a Congregational Outreach Worker to Faith in Place.
- Free Spirit Media partners with schools and organizations to provide education, access and opportunity in media production to under-served urban youth. AVODAH provides a Program Assistant to Free Spirit Media.
- Friedman Place is a supportive living community for blind and visually impaired adults in Chicago. A full range of services and activities is provided so that residents' days are healthy, dignified, and stimulating. AVODAH provides an Assistant Activity Coordinator to Friedman Place.
- Heartland Alliance helps people living in poverty or danger improve their lives and realize their human rights. Diverse programs serve people who are in the toughest of circumstances and are the hardest to reach, including survivors of violence, torture, and war and people living in extreme hardship or poverty. AVODAH provides two Corps Members to Heartland Alliance: a Housing Resource Specialist and an Asset Building Program Aide.
- Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and placement, and housing, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. AVODAH provides two Corps Members to Inspiration Corporation: a Housing and Supportive Services Assistant and a Community Voice Mail Coordinator.
- Lincoln Park Community Shelter (LPCS) is a comprehensive social service agency serving adult men and women who are experiencing homelessness. LPCS provides interim housing, meals, and a targeted array of social services to over 300 people each year. AVODAH provides a Volunteer Coordinator at LPCS.
- Youth Organizations Umbrella (Y.O.U.) is a youth development agency that provides services and leadership to meet the emerging needs of young people and their family in our communities. AVODAH provides a Community School Associate to Y.O.U.
- Women's Treatment Center provides women with a continuum of care, recovery tools and parenting skills to maintain a sober lifestyle as they rebuild their lives and their futures and mend the bonds with their families. AVODAH provides a Volunteer and Alumni Association Coordinator to Women's Treatment Center.
- Alliance for Affordable Energy advocates for fair, affordable, environmentally responsible, community based energy policies for Louisiana and the nation. AVODAH provides a Community Outreach Coordinator to Alliance for Affordable Energy.
- American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Louisiana works daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country. The ACLU also works to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights. AVODAH provides an Education and Outreach Assistant to ACLU Federation of Louisiana.
- Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center (GNOFHAC) is a civil rights organization dedicated to eradicating housing discrimination throughout the greater New Orleans area through education, investigation, and enforcement activities. AVODAH provides a Fair Housing Assistant to GNOFHAC.
- Juvenile Regional Services defends the rights and enhances the life opportunities of youth in Louisiana's juvenile justice system. AVODAH provides a Youth Advocate to Juvenile Regional Services.
- Liberty's Kitchen is a social enterprise giving New Orleans' disadvantaged youth a chance for independent, inspired and productive lives! AVODAH provides a Program Assistant to Liberty's Kitchen.
- Rebuilding Together New Orleans (RTNO) helps homeowners through the application system receive assistance and get their homes rebuilt. A combination of professional and volunteer efforts improves the quality of life of low income homeowners, particularly those who are elderly, disabled, or single heads of household with young children. AVODAH provides an Intake Assistant to RTNO.
- Success Preparatory Academy is an open enrollment charter school, established in 2009 to meet the city's need for high quality elementary education. AVODAH provides a Teaching Assistant to Success Preparatory Academy.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) uses litigation, education and other forms of advocacy to fight hate and bigotry, and to seek justice for vulnerable members of society. AVODAH provides an Education Advocate to SPLC.
- Vietnamese American Young Leaders Association (VAYLA) provides GED and college preparatory services for Vietnamese American and underrepresented youth, and campaigns to address the educational inequalities that currently exist in the New Orleans school system. AVODAH provides an Education Program Coordinator to VAYLA.
- Comprehensive Development, Inc., in partnership with Manhattan Comprehensive Night and Day High School, prepares older high school students to graduate with the skills and knowledge to be successful participants in the global economy and responsible members of their community. AVODAH provides a College Advisor to Comprehensive Development, Inc.
- The Crown Heights Community Mediation Center is a unique neighborhood institution that works to improve community problem-solving, collaboration, and inter-group relations in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. AVODAH provides a Special Projects Associate to the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center.
- The Doe Fund's Ready, Willing, and Able Facility uses paid transitional work and a holistic, individualized service package to catapult individuals into the workforce and out of cycles of homelessness, crime and addiction. AVODAH provides an Intake and Supportive Services Associate to The Doe Fund.
- Footsteps provides social, vocational and educational support to those seeking to enter or explore a world beyond the insular, ultra-religious environments in which they were raised. AVODAH provides a Program Assistant to Footsteps.
- Gay Men's Health Crisis is committed to national leadership in the fight against AIDS. Volunteers work hard to reduce the spread of HIV disease, help people with HIV maintain and improve their health and independence, and keep the prevention, treatment, and cure of HIV an urgent national and local priority. AVODAH provides a Public Education Associate to GMHC.
- The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services enhances and maintains the mental health and social functioning of individuals in the Jewish community and the broader community. AVODAH provides a Case Assistant in the Break Free Program to The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services - Kaplan Center.
- The Medicare Rights Center is the leading national, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping seniors and people with disabilities on Medicare receive equitable access to healthcare. AVODAH provides a Client Services Associate to the Medicare Rights Center.
- Neighbors Together is a soup kitchen and comprehensive assistance program addressing the immediate crisis of hunger for the poorest people in the Bedford-Stuyvesant/Brownsville section of Brooklyn. AVODAH provides a Public Education Assistant to Neighbors Together.
- New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal assistance to New York's most at-risk, low-income populations, including seniors, immigrants, victims of domestic violence, children with special needs, people with HIV/AIDS, survivors and families affected by the World Trade Center attack, Holocaust survivors, and others in need of legal help. AVODAH provides Paralegals to NYLAG in the Family Law Unit, General Law Unit and Immigration Protection Unit.
- Project Renewal serves the most fragile and underserved of the city's homeless: adult men and women who, in addition to being without a home, also suffer from disabilities, including alcohol and drug addiction, mental illness, and HIV/AIDS. AVODAH provides a Health Outreach Worker and and a Counselor and Teaching Assistant to Project Renewal.
- The Red Hook Community Justice Center is the nation's first multi-jurisdictional community court. The Justice Center provides alternatives to incarceration and hears criminal, family, and housing court cases arising in South Brooklyn neighborhoods. AVODAH provides a Case Manager to the Red Hook Community Justice Center.
- Repair the World builds a movement to make service a defining element of American Jewish life, learning and leadership. AVODAH provides two Education Campaign Fellows to Repair the World.
- Sanctuary for Families empowers survivors of domestic violence in claiming control of their lives, advocates for policy changes, and raises public awareness to end violence against all women. AVODAH provides a Program Associate to Sanctuary for Families - Immigrant Intervention Project.
- Selfhelp Community Service offers aging, frail, and at-risk New Yorkers a comprehensive network of social services, senior housing, and home care. It is also the oldest and largest provider of support services for Holocaust survivors in North America. AVODAH provides a Legal Associate to Selfhelp Community Service.
- The Urban Assembly School for Law and Justice is a college-preparatory school with a focus on law and justice. Classes emphasize learning by doing and center on legal studies and debate. AVODAH provides a College Access Fellow and a Student Enrichment Associate to the Urban Assembly School for Law and Justice.
- The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board supports self-help housing and community building in low-income neighborhoods by training, organizing, developing, and assisting resident-controlled limited-equity housing co-operatives. AVODAH provides a Tenant Liason to the Urban Homesteading Assistance Board.
- The Urban Justice Center provides legal representation and advocacy to poor and homeless New Yorkers. AVODAH provides two Legal Associates to the Urban Justice Center, one to the Mental Health Project and one to the Homelessness Outreach and Prevention Project.
- West Bronx Housing and Neighborhood Resource Center promotes and stimulates housing preservation, neighborhood stabilization and reinvestment in the West Bronx. AVODAH provides a Community Associate to WBHNRC.
- Brainfood promotes active learning, self-reliance, and healthy living to empower youth as resources in their own community. AVODAH provides a Program Associate to Brainfood.
- Bread for the City provides vulnerable residents of Washington, DC with comprehensive services, including food, clothing, medical care, and legal and social services, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. AVODAH provides a Legal Clinic Coordinator to Bread for the City.
- Capital Area Asset Builders provides financial education programs to low and medium income individuals and families , in order to improve money management skills, increase savings, and build wealth, helping them gain financial independence. AVODAH provides a Community Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator.
- The Capital Area Immigration Rights (CAIR) Coalition serves as the primary source of legal assistance for detained immigrants and asylum seekers in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. AVODAH provides a Legal Assistant to the CAIR Coalition.
- CASA de Maryland assists Latino immigrants and refugees of modest means with finding work, learning necessary skills, accessing available resources, and building a strong community. AVODAH provides a Legal Assistant to CASA de Maryland.
- DC Central Kitchen builds long-term solutions to the interconnected problems of poverty, hunger, and homelessness. AVODAH provides a Food Distribution and Recycling Program Coordinator to DC Central Kitchen.
- The DC Employment Justice Center secures and enforces the rights of low-income workers in the Washington DC metropolitan area. AVODAH provides an Employment Justice Organizer to the Employment Justice Center.
- DC Jobs with Justice is a coalition of labor organizations, community groups, religious organizations, and student groups dedicated to protecting the rights of working people and supporting community struggles to build a more just society. AVODAH provides a Worker's Rights and Education Coordinator.
- DC SCORES empowers students in urban communities using soccer, writing, creative expression, and service-learning. With teamwork as the unifying value, DC SCORES insprires youth to lead healthy lifestyles, be engaged students, and become agents of change in their communities. AVODAH provides an Elementary School Program Coordinator and a Coomunity Outreach Coordinator to DC SCORES.
- Food & Friends provides food packages, nutrition counseling, and companionship to people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-challenging illnesses, and their loved ones thoughout Washington, DC and parts of Maryland and Virginia. AVODAH provides a New Services Coordinator to Food & Friends.
- Free Minds uses books and creative writing to empower young inmates to transform their lives. AVODAH provides a Communication and Community Outreach Coordinator to Free Minds.
- Housing Unlimited, Inc. is a nonprofit affordable housing corporation addressing the housing crisis for adults with psychiatric disabilities who reside in Montgomery County, Maryland. AVODAH provides an Associate Director to Housing Unlimited, Inc.
- Interfaith Works provides food, shelter and clothing to low-income and homeless neighbors. AVODAH provides a Case Manager to Interfaith Works.
- Jews United for Justice leads Washington, DC-area Jews to act on their shared Jewish values by pursuing justice and equality in the local community. AVODAH provides a Community Organizer to Jews United for Justice.
- La Clínica Del Pueblo provides culturally appropriate health services to persons in the Latino community regardless of their ability to pay. AVODAH provides an Entitlement Worker to La Clínica.
- Metro TeenAIDS works to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS through outreach and education, as well as identify, treat, and improve the lives of those who are already infected. AVODAH provides a Curriculum Facilitation Coordinator to Metro TeenAIDS.
- Miriam's Kitchen provides free, homemade meals and high-quality, individualized support services that address the causes and consequences of homelessness in an atmosphere of dignity and respect, in an effort to end chronic homelessness. AVODAH provides a Case Manager to Miriam's Kitchen.
- N Street Village helps women move from homelessness to independent living and deal with issues of substance abuse and mental illness through day and residential programs. AVODAH provides a Wellness Center Program Assistant to N Street Village.
- Survivors and Advocates for Empowerment (SAFE), Inc. works to ensure the safety and self-determination of domestic violence survivors in Washington, DC through emergency services, court advocacy, and system reform. AVODAH provides a Response Line Lethality Assessment Project Advocate to SAFE.
- So Others Might Eat helps the poor and homeless of our nation's capital by meeting their immediate daily needs, such as food, clothing and health care. AVODAH provides a Basic Education Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator to the SOME Center for Employment Training.
- The Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School is a law-themed school that prepares students to succeed in college and to actively engage in our democratic society. AVODAH provides a Programs Associate and a Student Support Services Associate to the Thurgood Marshall Academy.
- The Washington DC Jewish Community Center's Behrend Builders Program teaches volunteers to repair, rebuild, and renovate low-income houses, homeless shelters, community centers, and other vital community facilities. AVODAH provides a Behrend Builders and Community Service Coordinator to the DC JCC.
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
The time I spent with my residents was truly amazing, and I value those relationships very much. Those connections kept me going and motivated me to create meaningful programs. I will take what I learned from the residents with me in my search for a career in which I can empower others to advocate for themselves."
Ali Terkel2010-2011 Corps Member