New York City
AVODAH Placement Organizations
This list is intended to give you an idea of the type of position you might have while in AVODAH. This is not the full or final list of potential positions available. Position and placement descriptions vary from year to year.
- Bronx Defenders Provides innovative, holistic, and client-centered criminal defense, family defense, civil legal services, social work support and advocacy to indigent people of the Bronx.
- Comprehensive Development, Inc., in partnership with Manhattan Comprehensive Night and Day High School, prepares older high school students to graduate with the skills and knowledge to be successful participants in the global economy and responsible members of their community. AVODAH provides a College Advisor to Comprehensive Development, Inc.
- The Crown Heights Community Mediation Center is a unique neighborhood institution that works to improve community problem-solving, collaboration, and inter-group relations in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. AVODAH provides a Special Projects Coordinator to the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center.
- Footsteps Provides educational, vocational and social support to those seeking to enter or explore the world beyond the insular ultra-religious communities in which they were raised.
- Gay Men's Health Crisis is committed to national leadership in the fight against AIDS. Volunteers work hard to reduce the spread of HIV disease, help people with HIV maintain and improve their health and independence, and keep the prevention, treatment, and cure of HIV an urgent national and local priority. AVODAH provides a Community Organizing Coordinator to GMHC.
- The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services enhances and maintains the mental health and social functioning of individuals in the Jewish community and the broader community. AVODAH provides a Case Assistant in the Break Free Program to The Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services - Kaplan Center.
- The Medicare Rights Center is the leading national, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping seniors and people with disabilities on Medicare receive equitable access to healthcare. AVODAH provides a Healthy Advocacy Fellow to the Medicare Rights Center.
- Neighbors Together is a soup kitchen and comprehensive assistance program addressing the immediate crisis of hunger for the poorest people in the Bedford-Stuyvesant/Brownsville section of Brooklyn. AVODAH provides an Advocate to Neighbors Together.
- New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal assistance to New York's most at-risk, low-income populations, including seniors, immigrants, victims of domestic violence, children with special needs, people with HIV/AIDS, survivors and families affected by the World Trade Center attack, Holocaust survivors, and others in need of legal help. AVODAH provides Paralegals to NYLAG in the Family Law Unit, General Law Unit and Immigration Protection Unit.
- Project Renewal serves the most fragile and underserved of the city's homeless: adult men and women who, in addition to being without a home, also suffer from disabilities, including alcohol and drug addiction, mental illness, and HIV/AIDS. AVODAH provides a Next Step Counselor and Teaching Assistant to Project Renewal.
- The Red Hook Community Justice Center is the nation's first multi-jurisdictional community court. The Justice Center provides alternatives to incarceration and hears criminal, family, and housing court cases arising in South Brooklyn neighborhoods. AVODAH provides a Case Manager to the Red Hook Community Justice Center.
- Sanctuary for Families empowers survivors of domestic violence in claiming control of their lives, advocates for policy changes, and raises public awareness to end violence against all women. AVODAH provides a Program Associate to Sanctuary for Families - Immigrant Intervention Project.
- STEPS to End Family Violence is dedicated to empowering families and communities through innovative strength-based programs that promote healing and social change.
- The Urban Assembly School for Law and Justice is a college-preparatory school with a focus on law and justice. Classes emphasize learning by doing and center on legal studies and debate. AVODAH provides a College Access Fellow and a Student Enrichment Associate to the Urban Assembly School for Law and Justice.
- The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board supports self-help housing and community building in low-income neighborhoods by training, organizing, developing, and assisting resident-controlled limited-equity housing co-operatives. AVODAH provides a Tenant Organizer to the Urban Homesteading Assistance Board.
- The Urban Justice Center provides legal representation and advocacy to poor and homeless New Yorkers. AVODAH provides two Legal Advocates to the Urban Justice Center, one to the Mental Health Project and one to the Homelessness Outreach and Prevention Project.
- West Bronx Housing and Neighborhood Resource Center Promotes and stimulates housing preservation, neighborhood stabilization, and reinvestment in the west Bronx, offering in-depth technical assistance and information to owners and tenants alike.
- Program Sites
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
At my placement, I've had many intensive conversations with staff about our role in mobilizing the community, gentrification, and general issues of race, class and poverty. It has been an intellectually stimulating place to work."
Eliana Horn2011-2012 Corps Member