AVODAH Placement Organizations
This is not the full or final list of potential positions available. Position and placement descriptions vary from year to year.
- The Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal (CELSJR) contributes to the holistic rebirth of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast Region through through programs and services that promote social, racial, and economic justice, striving to empower, inform, and help build a sustainable, equitable, and inclusive community. AVODAH provides a Volunteer Coordinator to CELSJR.
- Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center (GNOFHAC) is a civil rights organization dedicated to eradicating housing discrimination throughout the greater New Orleans area through education, investigation, and enforcement activities. AVODAH provides a Fair Housing Assistant to GNOFHAC.
- Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative support affordable housing for neighborhood residents by building new construction homes and rehabilitating existing structures. AVODAH provides an Assistant Neighborhood Coordinator to Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative.
- Rebuilding Together New Orleans (RTNO) allows low-income families in communities across the county to live in warmth, safety, and dignity by restoring homes at no cost to the homeowner. AVODAH provides an Intake Assistant to RTNO.
- Success Preparatory Academy is an open enrollment charter school, established in 2009 to meet the city's need for high quality elementary education. AVODAH provides a Teaching Assistant to Success Preparatory Academy.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) uses litigation, education and other forms of advocacy to fight hate and bigotry, and to seek justice for vulnerable members of society. AVODAH provides an Education Advocate to SPLC.
- Tulane Community Health Center at Covenant House works to improve the health of New Orleans residents by providing continuous high-quality, holistic, accessible, community-centric care. AVODAH provides a Project Assistant to Tulane Community Health Center.
- Vietnamese American Young Leaders Association (VAYLA) provides GED and college preparatory services for Vietnamese American and underrepresented youth, and campaigns to address the educational inequalities that currently exist in the New Orleans school system. AVODAH provides an Education Program Coordinator to VAYLA.
- Voice of the Ex-Offender (VOTE) is a grassroots, membership based organization founded and run by formerly incarcerated persons in partnership to end the disenfranchisement and discrimination against formerly incarcerated people and improve New Orleans public safety and the criminal justice system. AVODAH provides a Program Communications Fellow to VOTE.
- Young Aspirations/Young Artists (YA/YA) teaches art skills and entrepreneurship to creative young people, with the broader goal of empowering them to become successful adults by providing positive educational experiences while fostering and supporting their ambitions. AVODAH provides an Art Speaks Coordinator to YA/YA.
- Program Sites
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
AVODAH allowed me the opportunity to come to New Orleans and have an instant community, a good job doing direct service, and a support network. I truly appreciated the opportunity and know it has transformed me for the better."
Ross Peizer2010-2011 Corps Member