AVODAH Placement Organizations
This is not the full or final list of potential positions available. Position and placement descriptions vary from year to year.
- ACLU Foundation of Louisiana Works daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.
- Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center (GNOFHAC) is a civil rights organization dedicated to eradicating housing discrimination throughout the greater New Orleans area through education, investigation, and enforcement activities. AVODAH provides a Fair Housing Assistant to GNOFHAC.
- Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative supports affordable housing for neighborhood residents by building new construction homes and rehabilitating existing structures. AVODAH provides an Assistant Neighborhood Coordinator to Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative.
- Kids Rethink New Orleans School A group of students dreaming big about the changes they want in their schools and taking action to make those dreams a reality. The idea is simple: students are experts on their school experiences and deserve a voice in education reform.
- NO/AIDS Task Force Seeks to reduce the spread of HIV infection, provides services, advocates empowerment, safeguards the rights and dignity of HIV-infected individuals and provides for an enlightened public.
- Promise of Justice Initiative Advocates for humane, fair, and equal treatment of individuals in the criminal justice system.
- Success Preparatory Academy is an open enrollment charter school, established in 2009 to meet the city's need for high quality elementary education. AVODAH provides a Teaching Assistant to Success Preparatory Academy.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) uses litigation, education and other forms of advocacy to fight hate and bigotry, and to seek justice for vulnerable members of society. AVODAH provides an Education Advocate to SPLC.
- Tulane Community Health Center at Covenant House works to improve the health of New Orleans residents by providing continuous high-quality, holistic, accessible, community-centric care. AVODAH provides a Project Assistant to Tulane Community Health Center.
- Vietnamese American Young Leaders Association (VAYLA) provides GED and college preparatory services for Vietnamese American and underrepresented youth, and campaigns to address the educational inequalities that currently exist in the New Orleans school system. AVODAH provides an Education Program Coordinator to VAYLA.
- Program Sites
- Avodah Updates
Sign up for updates via email
AVODAH allowed me the opportunity to come to New Orleans and have an instant community, a good job doing direct service, and a support network. I truly appreciated the opportunity and know it has transformed me for the better."
Ross Peizer2010-2011 Corps Member